RCTS Logo

New Books

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

Re: New Books

Postby RichardCoulthurst » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 am

Lost Lines of Wales
Earlier this year I posted a note here that Graffeg Publishing of Llanelli had announced four more titles in their “Lost Lines of Wales” series which were due to appear in July this year. They are:
Vale of Neath (ISBN 9781912050666)
The Mid-Wales Line (ISBN 9781912050673)
Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth (ISBN 9781912050680)
Chester to Holyhead (ISBN 9781912050697)

I have now been notified by the publisher that due to a change in their production schedule these will not now appear till 6th October.
RichardCoulthurst

Postby Ian Prince » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:42 am

Just for the record I see that Joe Brown updated and brought out a fourth edition of his very detailed A4 sized London Railway Atlas (ISBN 9 780 711 038196) and has also now brought out a Birmingham and West Midlands edition in a similar format too. (Both 'Ian Allan') Reasonably priced too.

Having previous editions of his London Railway Atlas dating from edition two in 2009, I have to say that these are of a high standard and are exceptionally detailed, putting other railway atlases to shame. His long term goal to expand to other centres across the country appears to be coming to fruition and I have to say I look forward to them. They are well researched and detailed. I have found far more errors in Cobb's huge and pricey two volume railway atlas than I have been able to in just the London Railway Atlas alone. (Obviously having knowledge of the whole country is more difficult than a single geographical area). I do like the way that historical information and data is fairly universal and not restricted to a single date or period, but takes the geographical areas from inception to current date, including closures and re-openings.

Whilst they are geographically accurate as far as possible; the overlaying that Cobb did onto OS maps would be awesome, but almost certainly a bridge too far to achieve in printed form at a realistic price? Not least the scale to be utilised!

Both volumes very well recommended, both for the historical student and current day observer.
Ian Prince

Postby RichardCoulthurst » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Well, this is not really a new book as it was published in 2016 but I haven't seen it mentioned here.

Ghosts of Aberglaslyn - the Portmadoc, Beddgelert & South Snowdon Railway: A History by John Manners, paperback, 120 pages, A4, 53 b/w & colour illustrations, Welsh Highland Railway Heritage Group, 25 The Pound, Syresham, Brackley, NN13 5HG, ISBN 978 0 9930821 4 6, £18.00 (post free in the UK), http://www.welshhighlandheritage.co.uk
RichardCoulthurst

Postby Ian Prince » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:10 am

Not sure if it was here or elsewhere but I saw a reference to 'Platform Souls' by Nicholas Whittaker published 2016 as being a worthy read.

It is a 2015 update to an earlier volume from 1995 that seems to have achieved critical acclaim outside of the railway readership and in the mainstream media - The Times Literary Supplement, The Independent etc no less.

(Icon Books - ISBN 978 178 568 105 6 )

Not only does the RCTS get a mention, but for those who have not yet had it cross their path, a well written and quite evocative volume detailing the author's adventures in the 1960/70s and beyond, including during the transition from steam era.

Undoubtedly a worthy addition and interesting read that brings back many memories.

Thanks to whoever gave me the tip off to give it a go, a wonderful and nostalgic but equally very forthright explanation of a spotters life! Not what you might expect, or maybe you would…..

Recommended.
Ian Prince

Postby MisterC » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:19 pm

I have a paperback copy of "Platform Souls" which was published by Indigo in 1996. The subtitle is "The Trainspotter as Twentieth-Century Hero". I think that I picked it up second hand or as what Private Eye calls remainders of the day.

I would also recommend it as a sharp contrast to most writing about railways, a lot of which is worthy but dull. Another that does not follow the herd and worth looking out for is "Parallel Lines" by Ian Marchant first published in 2003. Again I have a paperback edition, published by Bloomsbury in 2004.

Unfortunately these 2 books did not have the same impact on railway writing that Nick Hornby's "Fever Pitch" had on football writing.
MisterC

Postby RichardCoulthurst » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Old Ordnance Survey Map of Guide Bridge & Dukinfield, 1934
I have just received this latest Alan Godfrey reprint of the large scale Ordnance Survey map of Guide Bridge in east Manchester in 1934. It is of immense railway interest with the LNER Manchester to Sheffield line going straight across the centre of the map and the LMS Stockport to Stalybridge route going diagonally from the bottom left corner to top right corner. Numerous other lines are to be seen together with the Dukinfield carriage and wagon works and the extensive Dewsnap sidings.

The map costs £3.00 plus £1.50 postage in the UK. You can order on line from http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk or from your local bookshop.
The ISBN is 978 1 78721 086 8

The publisher's description is:
The maps cover the eastern part of Audenshaw, southern part of Ashton around Guide Bridge, and then cross the River Tame to include the centre of Dukinfield.
Railways are dominant features, the maps including Guide Bridge station and numerous lines around it, including the Denton & Dukinfield line with Audenshaw station at Hooley Hill, Guide Bridge Junction line, Oldham Ashton & Guide Bridge Junction line, and Ashton & Stalybridge line as well as the main line. Brookside Sidings, Dewsnap Sidings, the Dukinfield carriage works, are also shown. Other features include St Stephen's church, Delta Works, York Street Mill, Guide Bridge Mills, Ashton Moss Colliery, Oxford Mills, Brookside Brewery, Duncan Mill, tramways, Stamford Works, Barnmeadow Works, Shepley Mills, Dukinfield Hall, Old Hall Mill, Dukinfield Town Hall, St Luke's church, St Mark's church, Chapel Field Works, River Tame, Peak Forest Canal, Manchester & Ashton Canal, etc.

Alan Godfrey Maps also have a reprint of the same area dated 1918.

Please mention the RCTS and this forum if you order the map.
RichardCoulthurst

Postby camerar » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:16 pm

RichardCoulthurst wrote:Old Ordnance Survey Map of Guide Bridge & Dukinfield, 1934
I have just received this latest Alan Godfrey reprint of the large scale Ordnance Survey map of Guide Bridge in east Manchester in 1934. It is of immense railway interest with the LNER Manchester to Sheffield line going straight across the centre of the map and the LMS Stockport to Stalybridge route going diagonally from the bottom left corner to top right corner. Numerous other lines are to be seen together with the Dukinfield carriage and wagon works and the extensive Dewsnap sidings.

Without wanting to draw attention away from the enterprise of the publishers, there are multiple generations of OS Maps available from the National Library of Scotland, the geo-referenced version being most useful in my evaluation.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/
camerar

Postby Ian Prince » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:21 am

I came across 'The Rise and Fall of Britain’s Marshalling Yards' yesterday, although it was first released in 2016.

(Author: Michael Rhodes, published by Platform 5). ISBN 978 1909 431 256

Quite a fascinating account of the yards from 1955 - 1990, with some comparisons to yards in other parts of the World. Well illustrated and with track plans to demonstrate the extent of the various large yards.
Ian Prince

Postby RichardCoulthurst » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:59 pm

The books from Graffeg Publishing in their "Lost Lines of Wales" series announced earlier this year have now been published.
They are:
Vale of Neath (ISBN 9781912050666)
The Mid-Wales Line(ISBN 9781912050673)
Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth(ISBN 9781912050680)
Chester to Holyhead (ISBN 9781912050697)

The author of all four is Tom Ferris. The books are oblong format hardbacks with a page size of 150 x 200mm and each with 64 pages. There is an introductory chapter to the route followed by some unfamiliar photographs with extensive captions. The photographs are mainly black and white but in a few volumes there is an occasional colour shot. The cover price is £8.99 each.
RichardCoulthurst

Postby RichardCoulthurst » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:31 am

camerar wrote:
RichardCoulthurst wrote:Old Ordnance Survey Map of Guide Bridge & Dukinfield, 1934

Without wanting to draw attention away from the enterprise of the publishers, there are multiple generations of OS Maps available from the National Library of Scotland, the geo-referenced version being most useful in my evaluation.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/

The National Library for Scotland map resource is quite excellent. However the Alan Godfrey maps measure 47cm x 60cm and few members will have a printer at home to take that size of paper. The print quality of the Godfrey maps is excellent and they also have historical essays on the reverse and other items such as extracts from local directories and railway timetables.
RichardCoulthurst

Previous

Return to Discussion