Annual General Meeting insert

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
14Bfellow

Annual General Meeting insert

Post by 14Bfellow » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Good afternoon all,

Having just received my April R.O. I find that the finance has been found to produce the AGM insert which is of little interest once the AGM has been held, unlike the printed R.O. Index which has a lasting use.

14Bfellow

pdeaves

Re: Annual General Meeting insert

Post by pdeaves » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:46 pm

I'm not party to any particular financial reasons for doing one thing or another. However, I think an annual report and accounts available to all members is a legal requirement (happy to be corrected if I am wrong).

windsor_lad

Post by windsor_lad » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:31 pm

The AGM insert contains all the reports from the Management Committee that in the past would have been read out by the Secretary at the AGM. To speed up proceedings they are now published beforehand so that all members are communicated with. The Society accounts are part of the reporting that takes place so that all members can ask questions on them if they so desire.

Peter Hall

Post by Peter Hall » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 pm

14Bfellow wrote:Good afternoon all,

Having just received my April R.O. I find that the finance has been found to produce the AGM insert which is of little interest once the AGM has been held, unlike the printed R.O. Index which has a lasting use.

14Bfellow
Not sure if I would agree that the insert is "of little interest once the AGM has been held". For those who take an interest in Society affairs it does have its uses in seeing what was being said when and the ability to analysis figures over a longer period. Always interesting to see what was being said about timescales etc, for example - Leatherhead, then and where we are now. It could be that it contains financial ammunition that can be used to argue that the decision not to print the R.O. index is not justified.

6-6-66

Post by 6-6-66 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:01 pm

The AGM supplement is, so far as I am concerned, a very useful document and tool for all the membership to make use of. The reasons for it are as follows:-
1) Having the reports prepared and available beforehand enables the entire membership to see and read the various officers' reports before the event. This enables any errors, queries, or questions to be forwarded for discussion, correction, or clarification, and to be expressed at the actual meeting, plus being lodged in the minutes, even if the forwarder is not present.
2) It reduces the time taken by the actual meeting to a minimum, whereas reading out reports can be lengthy, capable of being misunderstood and often, in part, of little interest to some of those present.
3) Whether it is liked or not, some officers are happier than others with making presentations, thus relieving them of the strain of having to make a full report. This does not mean that they are also absolved from answering questions, if these are raised.
4) Its quality of presentation shows the Society in a tidy, bight and progressive manner, which some other organisations with which I am involved, could learn from.

Andy Davies

Post by Andy Davies » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Is a PageSuite / PDF version of the AGM Insert going to be made available?

Andy