Station Statistics

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
RichardCoulthurst

Station Statistics

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:54 am

The Office of the Rail Regulator has just published the data for station passenger usage for 2014 - 2015. II is available in various formats on the ORR website but this is probably the most useful one as it includes comparative data for previous years:
http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/excel_d ... 14-15.xlsx
(Click on the "Entries and Exits" tab.)

RichardCoulthurst

Re: Station Statistics

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:18 am

The Office of the Rail Regulator has just published some statistics on station usage for 2015-2016. This is probably the most interesting part as it shows comparative data for several years:
http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/excel_d ... 15-16.xlsx
Many stations seem to have increasing numbers of passengers while others are static. Several show a decline in usage with no particular reason being apparent. Has anyone got any comments on these changes? How is your local station doing and is there a reason for significant increases or decreases?

pdeaves

Post by pdeaves » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:58 am

Prestwick International airport has a dramatic drop (68%, no less).
Ebbw Vale Parkway drops 60%: reaction to opening Ebbw Vale Town?
Angel Road also sees a dramatic drop (68% again), but this could be down to incorrect reporting in 2012-2015. The 2015/16 figure is the same order of magnitude as 2008-2012.
IBM and British Steel Redcar both lose over 50% of their custom: reaction to local industry changes?

My local station goes up 2%. Whoo!

MisterC

Post by MisterC » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:07 pm

This is a good example where the statistics depend heavily on the underlying assumptions, but without familiarity with the underlying data it is difficult to tell whether assumptions are realistic.

To me the interchange data look virtually useless as wildly different estimates result from using different methods in different years. Taking my local station at Royston as an example the interchange estimates look too low at less than 100 per working day: that's not what I see of passengers to/from the villages (Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton) changing to and from faster trains during peak hours. Even worse, there's no estimate at all of interchange at Letchworth, Hatfield or Potters Bar, all stations where passengers switch between slower and faster trains. Doubtless there are other examples all round the country.

If the interchange data are of doubtful value that makes me suspicious of the entries and exits too. It is not clear how much validation checking and data cleaning are done: here Foxton and Littleport are good examples of stations not moving with the trend of rapid growth in other nearby stations, and I wonder if anyone checked those before publication.

So remember these are estimates based on assumptions and data of doubtful quality, not an actual count.