RCTS Logo

RAILWAY OBSERVER CHANNEL

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

RO Content

Postby John239 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:03 pm

As a fairly new (about 6 months) member I have now attended around a dozen branch meetings and have received the appropriate number of copies of RO.
I would like to offer a couple of observations and a few suggestions.
Firstly, a few of the branch meetings have been on railway infrastructure - eg the redevelopment of London Bridge Station; from a civil engineering perspective - these have been the most popular meetings (judged by the number attending and listening to the comments of others) and have also helped remind everyone that we are a "railway" society and not just a "loco" society.
Secondly, RO is mainly full of "train spotting" information interspersed with snippets about other things. Whilst RO is well produced and generally interesting I would like to see a wider content and thus be of interest to a wider audience.
Suggestions for content are:
Recommended photo locations - gleaned from members. Knowing good locations would be valuable to those wanting to just photo trains/locos.
Heritage railways - aim to feature one per issue - I assume the various societies would happily contribute as it should give them better coverage.
Station plans/development - feature one per issue - not the grand stations but ones of general interest (and specially for the railway modeller). There are many railway modellers who have researched stations for their own models. From my experience of branch meetings members have a wealth of knowledge about what changed and when.
Feature the history/development of specific branch lines, including perhaps some of the "disappeared". Could include any known plans to restore, etc.
Infrastructure articles - could be as grand as Crossrail or as mundane as watering facilities, turntables or buffer stops.
Some of these could potentially create some interesting and publishable comments from RO readers.
There may be readers of this who think I've joined the wrong society! - but I believe that RCTS can use RO to inform an extend membership by going beyond what it seems to have done historically.
John239

Re: RAILWAY OBSERVER CHANNEL

Postby windsor_lad » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:14 pm

John239 - you are full of ideas but do you want to become involved to see them through.

We continue to look for new volunteers so any help would be gratefully received.
windsor_lad

Postby MIKER » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:10 pm

John - Fully agree with your sentiments
I would like to see a wider content and thus be of interest to a wider audience.

We are not short of Ideas only people to support them. Copy like money does not grow on trees and we regularly request material in the RO. However we cant be experts in everything and if you or other members are happy to front a topic you feel important - give me a call or drop an email and we will consider it. No obligations on either party.
What we need are well written items preferably supported by appropriate images.

Look forward to your emails

Regrds

Mike Robinson

Managing Editor
[/color]
MIKER

Postby MIKER » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:15 pm

JULY RO ON LINE NOW
MIKER

Postby MIKER » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi Folks

The August RO is On line Now.

Enjoy!
MIKER

Postby MIKER » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi Folks

The September RO is On line Now.

Enjoy!
MIKER

Postby John239 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:00 am

Feedback on latest editions:
I think the changes made are very good and look forward to the content continuing to evolve. We purport to be a "railway" society (not "loco" or "train") and an increasing emphasis on infrastructure is an important move.
John239

Postby MIKER » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks John. I agree. We do need more infrastructure focused articles and pix but do rely on members to come up with them.
Regards
Mike R
MIKER

Postby MIKER » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi Folks

The October RO is On line Now.

Enjoy!
MIKER

Previous

Return to Discussion