South Wales Electrification

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
RichardCoulthurst

South Wales Electrification

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Members might like to be aware of the latest news on the electrification of the South Wales main line and valleys network that has just appeared on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-30128378

Richard
(RCTS Member 12348)

Peter Hall

Re: South Wales Electrification

Post by Peter Hall » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Will it be an isolated electric network though? I put the question as I have yet to see in print any official information as to how the wet 'designed to leak' Severn Tunnel can be adapted for 25KV ohl electrification.

noelmachell

Post by noelmachell » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:58 pm

I do hope that any electrification in South Wales is carried out in a better manner than that currently being undertaken in
the North West (the so called Lancashire Triangle - most of it being in Merseyside and Greater Manchester) where it is
now well behind schedule with a lot of signal sighting difficulties having come to light between Ordsall Lane Junction and Manchester Victoria. However the final insult is the proposed use of Class 319 units which are only 2 years younger than
the 28/29 year old Class 142 & 150 units currently in use on these services
Noel Machell

BigMal442

Post by BigMal442 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi Richard & Noel,
I just hope that lessons have been learned and that it is built to a better standard than the 'not fit for purpose' ECML electrification.
Noel re the 142s, almost anything is better - it does not matter the age of the stock but the ride, comfort, capacity and reliability are the main things.
One must remember the North West and North East are never likely to get any new stock for local railways until they have the same powers as Scotland.
One only has to look at the stock provided from Manchester to North Wales - 3 car units packed like sardines on leaving Manchester and the awful ambiance and crowding of the outer island platfom at Manchester.
The Arriva franchase should be revoked if the operator can not provide units of suitable capacity and the new franchisee made as part of the tender to provide trains with suitable capacity. Arriva and the Department of Transport have not made any effort to reduced the overcrowding of these trains since they won the franchise.
I agree with your infered perception that the the new trains are going to the South East and all the North will get are cast offs.

Cheers
BM

RichardCoulthurst

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:09 am

This is the latest item from BBC Wales

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30728002