RCTS Logo

Dead or Dying Already?

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

Dead or Dying Already?

Postby 6-6-66 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:40 pm

The forum looked like a good idea.
Is there anybody out there, or has hibernation started? Not a thing since midday on Tuesday...
Do we have no one with any thoughts, question, or opinions, because we might as well give up now if there is so little interest or reaction.
6-6-66

Re: Dead or Dying Already?

Postby pdeaves » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:46 pm

OK then, here goes.

Week after week there is a signalling or points failure somewhere between Reading and Paddington (not the same one each time) that causes pandemonium.

What can be done to make the railway more resilient? Remember that very rarely can the railway 'just' do such-and-such. It costs money to do things and usually restricts operators' access (either in whole or in part) whilst the work takes place.

Thoughts?
pdeaves

Postby BigMal442 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi 6's.
Do not get dispondent as forums take a little while to 'get up steam' so to speak. But members can mention it at branch meetings or if there is a volunteer
then a brief few lines on the months topic could be sent to the RO editor for inclusion in the RO which may bring in a few more members.

Cheers
BM.
BigMal442

Postby windsor_lad » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:41 pm

HI pdeaves

Week after week there is a signalling or points failure somewhere between Reading and Paddington (not the same one each time) that causes pandemonium.

What can be done to make the railway more resilient? Remember that very rarely can the railway 'just' do such-and-such. It costs money to do things and usually restricts operators' access (either in whole or in part) whilst the work takes place.

This is a question aimed at those 'in the know' -- is the poor resilience of the GWML in the Thames Valley being addressed as part of the Crossrail / Electrification / IEP work? If not then the money may be wasted and passengers will still be milling around the concourse at Paddington and Reading.

Windsor_lad
windsor_lad

Postby 6-6-66 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Re the points/signal problems on the ex-GWR main line, a question:-
On the basis that point and signal problem have occurred since railways began, the old style railway had teams of maintenance staff reasonably close at hand, to deal with such problems and did so pretty quickly, There was also the possibility, of being able, via manual signal boxes, (which again were again fairly close-spaced), to use some degree of flexibility in working to get round problems.
How much of the aggravation is now caused by the fact that most of the time, there is no one near to the problem, which then has to fed through the system and then farmed out (ie sub-contracted) to a remote maintenance team, who then have to fit in this job with their already committed tasks?
6-6-66

Postby BigMal442 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi Gents,
We have moved away from 6's original post so it may need splitting into two topics.
The main problem For The GWML and Thames Valley is there is no joined up thinking and long term plan which also applies to most of the railway infrastructure in England. One only has to look at the completed, in-progress and ongoing plans north of the boarder and governments over the last 20 years should be ashamed. It is just sticking plaster planning and hiding heads in sand as progressive governments do not know what the public, operators and infrastructure requirements are. There is no long term planning to solve problems.
No lessons have been learned from the 2012 & 14 flooding and problems with siganalling and infrastructure. Why hang wires up without sorting out capacity and resilliance of the signalling first. This also applies to the ECML as the capacity and resilliance of the OHLE need urgent attention. I fear the putting wires up on the GWML will only add another problem without solving any of the issuses.
Little point in putting vast sums of money into new high speed lines to the Midlands when better value for the money would be spent sorting out the GWML and ECML first. All that is required from governments is to watch the TV progamme on the GWML then they would understand the problem instead of trying to be ostriches.

cheers.
BM
BigMal442

Postby BigMal442 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Gents,
Another Idea for the capacity problem on the GWML is before wires are put up all the way west is to alter the height of the infrastructure and modify the existing OHLE so that double deck trains can be introduced on the commuter corridor. Just think how cost effective it would be to have double deck stock with high density seating with 2 + 3 seating arrangement. This would more than double the capacity per coach with the large double doors and standing areas would create even more capacity and quicker loading and unloading.
One only has to look at the use of this type of stock in France, Belgium, Germany, Holland, Italy and Switzerland to name a few countries. Whats more the coaches and units could be purchased off the shelf and fitted out with high density seating.
This would also save line capacity. The initial infrastructure costs would be high but the long term benefits would be greater.

Cheers
BM
BigMal442

Postby ttrains » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Dear All,

I am with BigMal442: I think it is going to take some time. Also, for those members with busy full time jobs and/or young families, oftentimes, branch fixtures might not be feasible (especially if one has to travel by train--though, I take it, none of the members will complain!) due to time constraints and commitments. As such, reading the RO and partaking in Forum might be the only viable way for them to get "involved". So, please be patient. I, for one, is benefiting from this for the above reason.

TTrains
TTrains
East Midlands
ttrains

Postby GeoffPlumb » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi All,

I've just joined the forum having seen the piece about it in the November RO, so pleased to join the ranks of those already here.

As others have mentioned, a general lack of spare time means that my visits to the RCTS website are sporadic and I had not known that the forum was up and running until reading the RO snippet.

I am a member of various forums (fora?) and as with many other aspects of life there are always those who are very active and those who sit on the sidelines - at least they may be reading what's being posted even if they do not feel the need to contribute. It seems that around 10% of forum members tend to contribute on a regular basis and even to get to that level may take some time and it's probably still early days for this forum.

It's highly likely that not all members are aware of the forum, I certainly haven't heard anyone mention it at our branch meetings (Watford). As Chairman of Watford Branch, I will bring the subject up at our next meeting in January and try to encourage our members to participate. Not everyone is online of course, so may not be able to access the forum unless they can get online via their local library or whatever.

Certainly, I hope that the forum will take off once more people know of it...

Cheers, Geoff
Chairman, Watford Branch.

Please visit my Photo Gallery at PLUMB LOCO This is my new location since the disappearance of Fotopic...
GeoffPlumb

Postby Peter Hall » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:17 pm

6-6-66 wrote:The forum looked like a good idea.
Is there anybody out there, or has hibernation started?

Well it does appear '6-6-66' could well be correct! Perhaps though it is the reality of a hobby that belongs to another era with many of its clan far less active and enthusiastic as they once were. It certainly appears to those involved in the commercial side of the hobby that this is probably the case.

You won't find many present day railway enthusiasts who did not start out as, or at least had a spell of, being teenage spotters. Every summer a new crop of school boys would get into spotting. Some did it for a few months before getting involved with other things whilst for others it became a lifelong interest with the spotting aspect giving way to involvement in preservation or historic aspects. I doubt many would argue that since the late 1980's, earlier in many areas, the new crop has never appeared. The result is very few enthusiasts are now under forty and many of those visibly spotting are beyond sixty. Add into the mix all the increasing restrictions and you have to be somewhat determined and thick skinned to be an active enthusiast these days.

Probably then there is nobody out there with the enthusiasm to contribute.
Peter Hall

Next

Return to Discussion