Wadsley Bridge Footexs

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
Peter Hall

Wadsley Bridge Footexs

Post by Peter Hall » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Scouring of the internet will find various forum threads were the question 'When was Wadsley Bridge station last used by a footex?'

My opinion based on what I have unearthed is that it was 8th January 1994 for the Sheffield Wednesday v Nottingham Forest match. This was formed of 'sprinters' 156422 + 156467. That is unless anyone knows of another more recently.

The last locomotive hauled footex to Wadsley Bridge would appear to have been on 17th March 1993 for the Sheffield Wednesday v Derby County FA Cup Quarter Final match. This was headed by 47824. That is unless anyone knows of another more recently.

All this deliberation has caused me to start to draw together various notes regarding footexs to Wadsley Bridge after regular passenger services ceased through Woodhead tunnel in January 1970. Surprisingly it would appear after that their was only seven occasions (14/3/70, 4/4/70, 7/12/74, 16/3/77, 23/4/77, 29/11/77, 12/4/80) when footexs were routed by way of Woodhead tunnel. That is unless anyone knows different.

Of course there were many more occasions after January 1970 when footexs ran to Wadsley Bridge via Sheffield (Victoria).

The FA Cup semi-finals held at Hillsborough are thought to have always seen Wadsley Bridge footexs in the 1970's and 1980's but still need to unearth more about these. The last was the Middlesbrough v Chesterfield replay on 22nd April 1997. I am not aware of any footexs running for this match although there were some Sheffield - Chesterfield reliefs after the match. Of course this match should never have been as clearly Chesterfield had already beaten Middlesborough 4-3 at Old Trafford but that's another story. Prior to that the previous match was Sunderland v Norwich City on 5th April 1992. Footexs ran for supporters of both teams and it is presumed those for one of clubs ran to Wadsley Bridge.

Working back the previous semi-final was the one on 15th April 1989 that you will have heard mentioned today and will hear much more about in the next few days. I have unearthed the notebook of the late Peter Fox for this day and although it is not clear whether or not it ran to Wadsley Bridge or not he records a footex from Liverpool with 47434. He also records 47447 and 97545 passing through Dore on return footexs later in the day. Thus it is presumed these ran to Sheffield (Midland). Again can anyone confirm or add more details.

Comments on the above would be welcomed as would any observations and notes regarding Wadsley Bridge footexs from 1970 till 1994.

pdeaves

Re: Wadsley Bridge Footexs

Post by pdeaves » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:39 pm

If it helps, Michael Quick's book 'Railway Passenger Stations In Great Britain' states, about Wadsley Bridge:
last football (Sheffield Wednesday) excursion 8 January 1994... from 2 March 1997 no part of the privatised railway had relevant rights to use the station

Peter Hall

Post by Peter Hall » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:24 pm

pdeaves wrote:If it helps, Michael Quick's book 'Railway Passenger Stations In Great Britain' states, about Wadsley Bridge:
last football (Sheffield Wednesday) excursion 8 January 1994... from 2 March 1997 no part of the privatised railway had relevant rights to use the station
This ties in with my research which did not include referring to Michael Quick's book.

Peter Hall

Wadsley Bridge Footexs - what we know

Post by Peter Hall » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:34 pm

I have now started to pull together what is known about the latter years of Wadsley Bridge footexs on the Society website. Being very much focused on Sheffield it is included on the Sheffield Branch pages https://www.rcts.org.uk/branches/sheffi ... d/wbfootex

Further observations or references would be welcomed as would any pictures of the trains.

As time permits I will add all I have unearthed back to 1970 but I must emphasis my notes are not very comprehensive on this subject.

Peter Hall

Wadsley Bridge Footexs 1970 - 1994

Post by Peter Hall » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:41 am

I have now included all that I have immediately to hand at http://www.rcts.org.uk/branches/sheffie ... d/wbfootex If you can add to or clarify what is now their please do so. Also, a few photographs of the trains would be very much welcomed especially those via Woodhead which generally had interesting motive power.

Peter Hall

Post by Peter Hall » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:33 pm

Had another trawl this evening and have been able to find information about several more Wadsley Bridge footes's. This information has been added to http://www.rcts.org.uk/branches/sheffie ... d/wbfootex Contributions continue to be welcomed.

MisterC

Post by MisterC » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:52 pm

Saturday afternoon seems to be the right time to do footexes.

Pennine Railway Society magazine mentions the 14/05/83 footex also that 14/05/83 was the last day of Sheffield-Huddersfield advertised passenger service via Wadsley Bridge, see here: http://www.abrail.co.uk/Mag%2044.htm

I think the 14/05/83 footex may have started from St Pancras because I saw 45124 at Leicester on 0655? Nottingham-St Pancras earlier that morning, though an engine change at Brent is also a possibility.

It would be useful if someone could confirm when Deepcar-Penistone closed to all traffic to give a last possible date for footexes arriving at Wadsley Bridge from the Penistone direction.

More generally the source I use for football fixture information is Soccerbase which is here: http://www.soccerbase.com/

Peter Hall

Post by Peter Hall » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:04 am

MisterC wrote:It would be useful if someone could confirm when Deepcar-Penistone closed to all traffic to give a last possible date for footexes arriving at Wadsley Bridge from the Penistone direction.
'Register of Closed Railways 1948-1991' by Geoffrey Hurst gives 16/05/83 as the date when Deepcar to Penistone closed to all traffic.

After Hadfield to Penistone closed to all traffic on 20/07/81 any footexs from the Penistone direction would have come via Huddersfield. I am aware that on occasions footexs to Huddersfield had been routed via Penistone but I am not aware of any having being routed this way for matches at Hillsborough, certainly possible though.

Related to this and hopefully my memory is not playing tricks, but I do recall that on match days in the 1970's certain Sheffield - Huddersfield trains made special stops at Wadsley Bridge. The stops were arranged to allow supporters from Penistone and stations to Huddersfield to travel to matches by train without having to go into Sheffield but not allow travel to matches from Sheffield. It would be very interesting to know if anyone can confirm that this did indeed happen.

Peter Hall

Wadsley Bridge Footexs early 1973

Post by Peter Hall » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:33 am

Just added some further details regarding footexs to Wadsley Bridge in early 1973 for various F.A. Cup matches.

Peter Hall

1992 F. A, Cup semi-final

Post by Peter Hall » Fri May 20, 2016 12:36 pm

Have today received confirmation that the train conveying Sunderland supporters to this match ran to Sheffield (Midland). Thus, the four trains for Norwich supporters are presumed to have run to Wadsley Bridge.

This was the last Hillsborough semi-final for which trains ran to Wadsley Bridge.

Only one subsequent semi-final was held at Hillsborough, the 1997 replay between Middlesborough and Chesterfield.