South Western franchise

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
pdeaves

South Western franchise

Post by pdeaves » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:18 am

In case folk haven't heard the news elsewhere, the latest franchise has been awarded to First/MTR in preference to incumbent Stagecoach.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/firs ... -franchise

windsor_lad

Re: South Western franchise

Post by windsor_lad » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:31 pm

I note that one of the franchise commitments is to increase the service to Windsor from two to four trains per hour.

At Datchet, the last stop before Windsor; there are two level crossings. For many years with the gates closed to road traffic four times an hour gridlock ensues affecting the surrounding area because the crossing are on a through route from the Windsor/Slough area to Runnymede and Staines.

With double the level of service the good citizens of Datchet will have greatly improved train service but will find that their roads are jammed for most of the day.

pdeaves

Post by pdeaves » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:54 pm

windsor_lad wrote:With double the level of service the good citizens of Datchet will have greatly improved train service but will find that their roads are jammed for most of the day.
Maybe that's on purpose, so all those waiting at the crossing think it's much better to go by train! :D

Chris Meredith

Post by Chris Meredith » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:07 am

As a former Southern Region train planner I shall be most interested to see how the new franchisees will be able to accelerate services to Southampton and Bournemouth without taking out stops or increasing the line speed. Currently fast trains take 74 minutes to Southampton and 105 minutes to Bournemouth with 5 stops as opposed to the new electric timetable introduced in 1967 when services took 70 minutes to Southampton and 100 minutes to Bournemouth with only one stop at Southampton Central.The maximum line speed was then 90MPH as opposed today when between Brookwood and the Eastleigh area it is raised to 100MPH. The same no doubt applies on the continuation to Weymouth and the SW mainline to Exeter. With regard to the promised increase in service levels on other routes such as the Pompey direct, I hope the paths and terminal facilities have been identified.

I can only assume the homework has been done, or is the DFT being led 'up the garden path'? I shall watch this space with interest.

windsor_lad

Post by windsor_lad » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 am

The new operators have announced that they will be known as LSWR -- London and South Western Railway - a familiar name to many.

So these days even company names get recycled.