RCTS Logo

Pre-nationalisation station use

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

Pre-nationalisation station use

Postby pdeaves » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:25 pm

All,

Were there ever any stations pre-nationalisation that were run by one company but served only by another? If so, where (and ideally with dates if known)?

To illustrate, a modern day example could be Hinckley station, operated by East Midlands Trains for a decade (so far) but only served by CrossCountry. Was there ever, for example, a GWR station only served by LSWR?

Thanks!
pdeaves

Re: Pre-nationalisation station use

Postby PETER.LAWRENCE1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:38 pm

One such was Kings Cross Old Metropolitan station (it had a number of aliases.) It was owned and run by LT but served by LNER and LMS trains only. This was the case from 1946 until nationalisation. (Sorry I do not have exact dates to hand.)

Peter Lawrence (RCTS 7608).
PETER.LAWRENCE1

Postby pdeaves » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks Peter. I suppose this particular example continued through to closure (I hadn't really considered LT in my original question, erroneously assuming everything would become BR in 1948).
pdeaves

Postby etr220 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:56 pm

Pre grouping two examples I can think of - the Great Eastern's Shepreth branch, used only by GN services to Cambridge; and Ryde Pier Head and Esplanade - owned jointly by the LSW and LBSC, but only used by IoW and IoWC.

In the late pre-nationalisation period, when did LNER services into Fenchurch Street cease, leaving it to the LMS? Also various LPTB extensions - District line to Upminster, Central line E&W, Northern line to Barnet and MHE - were over LMS/LNER/GWR lines, which remained as such, certainly in ownership terms, although I have a question as to the exact legal (as distinct from practical operational) status of these services - some LT stock was 'big four' owned as a result of the extensions. And then there were the LPTB District and LMS services to Richmond over the SR (ex LSWR) line via Turnham Green
etr220

Postby etr220 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 am

And a further thought - a number of stations were jointly owned (Aylesbury, Carlisle and Bristol TM come to mind), and operated by a joint committee of the owners, which did not however run any train services (done by the owning and sometimes other companies)
etr220

Postby MisterC » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:23 pm

As a local I'm annoyed that I did not think of Foxton and Harston.

But was Shepreth GN or GE? The station building is similar to Meldreth and presumably GN? And what about Shepreth signal box, which was "GE end" of the station?
MisterC

Postby pdeaves » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 pm

According to the RCH junction diagrams, Shepreth was GN.
pdeaves

Postby pdeaves » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks all for your information so far. A summary of findings to date is the bottom table on http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/stations/notserved.shtm. I have not put Fenchurch St on that section as, according to some info I have found, the 'LNER' workings were not removed until 1948 (veracity of source unknown).

Can anyone add further instances or provide more reliable dates? Thanks!
pdeaves

Postby Richard Allen » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 pm

According to Alan A Jackson's "London's Termini", LNER services from Fenchurch Street ceased as follows:

North Woolwich: October 1940 as a result of the blitz.
Loughton and Ongar: 5 May 1947 after the opening of the Central Line extension.
Ilford line: 7 November 1949 following commissioning of the Shenfield electrification.

So there was no period before nationalisation when Fenchurch Street was only served by the LMS.
Richard Allen

Postby etr220 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 pm

A few further thoughts:
Wandsworth Road and Clapham Road (on the LCDR/SECR section of the South London Line) remained served by LBSCR services after withdrawal of SECR services in c1916.
Were Coulsdon South (present name) and Merstham, on the SE/SEC section of the Brighton mainline always served by SE/SEC services, or were there times when they only had LBSC services?
AIUI, post WW2 services at Kensington Addison Road/Olympia were run by LPTB (District line from Earl's Court) and Southern (unadvertised service from Clapham Jn.), but the station was West London (joint LMSR & GWR)
Who ran Royal Oak station (AIUI it was a GWR only (not Joint) station), and who provided the services over the years (joint or Met/LPTB only?)?

A large can of worms in this area might be those services and stations run by the Underground group pre 1933 - while it had one public face, and one owning company (Underground Electric Railways Company of London. Limited = UERL), 'under the covers' there were four railway undertakings (MDR, LER, CLR and C&SLR) - which was doing what and where is something I wouldn't claim any knowledge or understanding of. One particular issue in this area is the western extension of the Piccadilly line (LER) over MDR (and ex LSWR) tracks to Hounslow and South Harrow - on the latter branch did you have LER trains (only) serving MDR stations? (Piccadilly line trains did not get to Uxbridge (over the Met beyond S Harrow) until LPTB days - I have I think read that this was due to the agreement/powers being for MDR (not LER) trains, and the Met not being prepared to be flexible over this)
etr220

Next

Return to Discussion