RCTS Logo

Manchester Mayfield

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

Manchester Mayfield

Postby Ian Prince » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:49 am

With tours to the Manchester Central underground tunnels now suspended indefinitely on health and safety grounds (presumably whilst works on the Great Northern Goods Warehouse take place to create more ‘luxury’ flats), the chance has arisen to take a last look around Mayfield before a similar fate befalls this former station. My last memory of Mayfield being operational was as a parcels depot, usually with a Class 08 present.

(I had the chance to do the Manchester Central Tunnels a few years ago, not as a walking tour but on a private professional technical visit and so glad I took the opportunity).

Many dates for the Mayfield walking tours of a couple of hours are now fully booked, but like the Central Tunnels, no doubt worth a last look around before the railway influence is lost forever in redevelopment.

https://www.jonathanschofieldtours.com/ ... tours.html
Ian Prince

Re: Manchester Mayfield

Postby Ian Prince » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Quite a descent attendance in the pouring rain (well it is Manchester), including a number of participants from other railway societies as well as members of the general public turned for the tour. The 1910 built station will change radically as part of the redevelopment into 1300 homes, offices and hotel, together with a park by the River Medlock. The burnt out offices are no longer accessible, but all the undercroft including the offices below the main station platform were visited. No doubt the storage of brand new point work and track on site, destined for Piccadilly will cease in the future.

A few photos here, showing the now to be retained former Boddingtons public house at the entrance, and the somewhat wet platforms with some of the former canopy above. The undercroft and derelict offices at low level are also seen.

http://www.mainlinephotography.co.uk/po ... 59172.html
Ian Prince

Return to Discussion