RCTS Logo

THAMESLINK new destinations

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

THAMESLINK new destinations

Postby Chris Meredith » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Today history was made as it is the first day that public trains started running through Canal Tunnel between St Pancras International & Finsbury Park, the service consists of three trains in each direction, two between Horsham and Peterborough and one between Brighton and Cambridge. I travelled on the first northbound service through the tunnel, the 1000 Horsham to Peterborough which I joined at Purley, it had a 4 late start from Horsham and was further delayed in the Redhill and Croydon areas, however as it was booked to to stand for 15 minutes at London Bridge it departed right time, there was a very slow journey through the tunnel form St Pancras Int to the GN mainline, I alighted at Finsbury Park a minute or so late. There were a fair number of enthusiasts travelling, some in both directions as we crossed the first southbound service at London Bridge.
Chris Meredith

Re: THAMESLINK new destinations

Postby northroad » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 am

Chris,
I suppose this post could quite easily be listed under several different headings and for that I apologise.
Like many other people who live on the East Coast suburban route I was delighted when I saw that I would now be able to get a connection to places like Brighton and Gatwick Airport without having to use several different interchange points. A quick trip from my local New Southgate to Finsbury Park is now all that is needed. This is now a better way of doing this and has been a long time coming. Like many others from what would be called the older generation I am somewhat loathed to change but to me when the service becomes bedded in then those who are involved with the changes are to be congratulated. Yes, the teething problems that are being encountered at the moment are rightly being investigated after far too many hiccups but when they do eventually get the timetable working it has got to be a fantastic achievement. The introduction of numerous new classes has got to be the way forward and I look forward to the introduction of the new trains into Moorgate later this year. Too many people have had to endure life expired classes such as the rail buses and my local Class 313 electrics for far to long. I think we can all say that we are presently part of a revolution in British railways and when it all comes together we should be rightly proud.

Geoff
northroad

Return to Discussion