Prisoner of War Camp Halt

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
RichardCoulthurst

Prisoner of War Camp Halt

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:57 am

Oldham to Greenfield and Delph Branch
I recently explored part of the route of the former LNWR Oldham to Greenfield and Delph branch using the public footpaths that have now been established along the old line from Oldham to Grotton and Springhead. The passenger service ended as long ago as 1955 and freight trains ceased in 1964. Between Oldham (Glodwick Road) and the next station at Lees the line crossed Wellyhole Street and just to the north of this point was Glen Mill, a large cotton mill which has now been demolished. I was told by a local gentleman that the mill and its surroundings was used during the Second World War as a Prisoner of War camp, which is an established fact. However, he also told me that a special railway halt was built to serve the camp. I am unable to find any evidence of this latter statement and it is not referred to in the various books I have seen about the history of the line. Can anyone confirm the existence of this halt?

pdeaves

Re: Prisoner of War Camp Halt

Post by pdeaves » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 pm

There is no mention in Quick's 'Railway Passenger Stations'. It doesn't particularly help your quest!

RichardCoulthurst

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:45 am

Thank you. I am familiar with Quick's book which is the first place I went to. The halt is not mentioned in 'Clinker's Register' nor is it in the Oakwood Press book 'Private and Untimetabled Railway Stations'. Of course, part of the problem is not knowing the actual name of the halt which makes looking it up in an alphabetical index rather difficult.

I have also checked the Ordnance Survey maps of the area but if the halt was short lived it might have come and gone between surveys or it may even have been deliberately omitted for security reasons.

David Goddard

Post by David Goddard » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Several online articles quote people saying that prisoners were marched to the camp from Oldham Mumps station, so this casts a bit of doubt on the claim.