Welcome to the RCTS Forum

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
webmaster
Site Admin

Welcome to the RCTS Forum

Post by webmaster » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:23 pm

This is a discussion board which welcomes questions and news on any subject relating to railways, both past, present and future. You will need to register before you can post either questions or replies (click "Register" in the top right hand corner of the screen), the website will then guide you through the process. Your Username and Password for the forum work independently of the login details used to access the online versions of the Railway Observer and other members only features.

Re: Welcome to the RCTS Forum

Post by 21275 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Webmaster,
Why does every message on this Forum have to be moderated, please?

pdeaves

Post by pdeaves » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:10 pm

Further to '21275's question, is there some way to turn off the email notification that posts are approved?

Thanks!

6-6-66

Post by 6-6-66 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:44 pm

I agree with the appointment of a moderator, to police the content of submissions. Surely, if it doesn't appear, it is obvious what has happened to it? I contribute to several other forums (other disciplines) and they don't send an approval message. Why do we?

webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:40 pm

21275 wrote:Webmaster,
Why does every message on this Forum have to be moderated, please?
It's to prevent spam. It applies to the first few postings made by a new member to ensure that they are on-topic and not spam; it's one of the many things we will be reviewing in light of experience.

David

Ian Prince

Post by Ian Prince » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:36 pm

Moderation loses the spontaneity of discussion on the board, and it is frustrating that this happens to established RCTS members like myself who are members of other forums, where whilst having some form of moderation on other forums, do not suffer in the way that it occurs on this forum. I joined the RCTS very young and am not ready to retire yet for some time. A lot more valuable use could be made of theForum to younger members, who regard the Web as a way of life. If the Society cannot cope with something as simple as a web forum, I have major concerns for its future.

My membership renewal for my forty first year of RCTS membership remains on my desk for now. It has never before been in such doubt.

What a sad state of affairs.......

MisterC

Post by MisterC » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:31 am

I rejoined RCTS last year after a 15 year break and don't share your pessimistic view.

Charitable status is a big change that will allow RCTS to make significant forward steps. Right now the Management Committee need to give priority to that and the first important thing that follows on from it, which is re-establishing the library. Another priority is the next generation website and I think that's enough big projects for a team of volunteers.

In the meantime I agree that it would be good to encourage members to make good use of this forum. The comment about moderation is actually 2 years old and I hope that it is only posts by new members on the forum (not the same as new members of RCTS) that get moderated.

I hope that you renew your memberships: RCTS needs members who are motivated about exploiting the new opportunities of the digital era.

Peter Hall

Moderation and the future

Post by Peter Hall » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:50 am

Both MisterC and Ian Prince are members whose contributions to the areas I am trying to develop on the Society website I appreciate enormously. They are both from my generation, the generation that cut its teeth after BR had rid itself of standard gauge steam locomotives, but not all that long after. All three of us have a passion for research and accurate recording of that era and beyond and fully understand what can be achieved by combining modern communications / information and the resources the RCTs has such as its library collections. Some might see us as too modernistic, others as members whose enthusiasm needs harnessing to make the Society attractive to the post steam generation. Ironically the Society Chairman extolls his preference for Class forties frequently so perhaps he is also one of us!

The future direction and size of the RO is indeed important. Mike Robinson has transformed it since he became editor, some like what he has done others not so. So I will leave discussion of the RO out of this posting.

I certainly agree with MisterC that re-establishing the library and the next generation website are priorities for the immediate present.

The Leatherhead library project seems to be taking for ever to come to fruition which is somewhat frustrating for those wishing to make good use of it. The location to my mind couldn't be better, good rail, road and air links in an area sufficiently far from central London that reasonably priced accommodation can be found for those making a visit. Perhaps more will come to light after the quoted "D DAY on the 3rd December".

Although heavily involved with the current website I am not sure where we are with the new one. I am very good at wrecking things when it comes to computers and also sometimes miss the wood for the trees. I have the powers to develop completely new pages for the new website but until someone can show me (stand over my shoulder with a big stick) what I am doing wrong with my test ones I am snookered.

I have chatted with a moderator about moderating and whilst appreciating the need to be careful about keeping an eye on new members to the forum who are not Society members, MisterC has a valid point. Surely a Society member does not need moderating. However, what is interesting and perhaps needs further investigation is that I have now received emails from two different members who both had posts moderated after joining, they then made no further input for several months, then not only found they were moderated but their original posts had gone missing! Hmmm!

Ian Prince

Post by Ian Prince » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Peter,

Whilst I am not an IT professional, I have trained (as a National Training Manager at one point), people in some aspects of web usage and computer operation to a reasonable level in the past. So I understand a bit more than the basics. Those leaving University/Higher Education and even school at the present time, generally have an inbuilt appreciation and knowledge of computer use, but strangely, in my previous roles, the age issue was not consistent across the board.

Some younger people had failed to comprehend the basics, whilst older individuals often either expressed a fear of computers or were afraid of destroying the internet completely!

Obviously the fear of viruses and rogue emails also played a significant part with some individuals, but if you automatically open every email or website from every source without a consideration of who the sender/website owner is, or is likely to be, (or may be a 'doppelganger'), then you have much to learn. Same goes with the use of USB sticks and CD/DVDs from unknown or unreliable sources.

Anti virus software sellers often play on this fear. Common sense and caution, are far more useful once you have a basic knowledge of the operation, plus a good backup system of all information held, off line.