Gatehouse of Fleet Station

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
RichardCoulthurst

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:16 am

Gatehouse of Fleet was a passing place on the largely single-track Dumfries to Stranraer railway (known as the ‘Port Road’). The Scottish Region timetable for Summer 1964 shows a rather strange service with trains at this station in a west-bound direction (i.e. towards Stranraer) only. The service was sparse to say the least with trains at 9.43am (Fridays), 7.28pm (Mondays) and 7.31pm (Saturdays).

I believe the reason for this was that the east-bound platform had suffered flood damage making it unsafe to use and that this had occurred in about 1962.

Shortly before closure the passing loop was removed which meant that trains could once again call east-bound at this station using the remaining platform.

Can anyone confirm the details and provide a date when the east-bound service ceased and when it restarted after the passing loop was removed.

The other thing to note about this station was that it was six or seven miles from the town it was meant to serve. Anyone unfamiliar with the area alighting here and expecting to be in Gatehouse of Fleet would have been faced with a long walk along a rather lonely road. No mention of this in the timetable!

pdeaves

Re: Gatehouse of Fleet Station

Post by pdeaves » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Michael Quick states (expanding out his abbreviations):
lost last eastbound service 18 June 1962 timetable; last working time table for line, 7 September 1964, shows unadvertised stops both ways – eastbound Fridays and Saturdays, westbound Fridays and Mondays. Closed 14 June 1965.

Hope this helps!

RichardCoulthurst

Re: Gatehouse of Fleet Station

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:52 am

Thanks. I am aware of the information in Quick's Chronology which gives the timetable dates.

I was trying to determine when the eastbound service actually ceased due to the flood damage and when it re-commenced after the loop had been removed. These would not necessarily be the same as the timetable (public or working) dates.

I seem to remember reading an article on the subject (possibly in Railway World) but cannot now find the reference.

Thanks anyway!