Pre grouping & BR naming committee / convention

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
Deadofnight

Pre grouping & BR naming committee / convention

Post by Deadofnight » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Can anybody help with recommending a book or source to research on the background to how names were allocated to the various classes of locomotives of pre grouping companies & subsequently BR.

Thanks

pdeaves

Re: Pre grouping & BR naming committee / convention

Post by pdeaves » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:55 pm

For clarity, by 'names' do you mean those carried on nameplates, or general class names?

Deadofnight

Post by Deadofnight » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:04 am

Thanks for your response, what I was really looking for was taking Jubilee’s as a class for example how they decided upon the names of the locomotives, I can see one of the groupings is of states from the empire/commonwealth and then there are other names Nelson, impregnable etc, I was trying to understand what the convention was for these names and who proposed them/ decided on them, taking this right across the board for classes i.e A3’s, A4’s to Britannia’s, etc.

In summary as you look through all the names of a class it’s just of interest to know how it came to be named thus

Thanks again

MisterC

Post by MisterC » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:36 am

The original source for this is the National Archives which holds British Railways Board papers. I've not gone back that far but they probably have papers for the "big 4" too.

In the Modernisation Plan era locomotive names were approved by the Regional Boards. That's how the ScR and NER Deltics were named after regiments but the ER Deltics were named after racehorses. The LNER had named locomotives after racehorses and the ER Board wanted to follow that tradition. The "classic" 2000/1000 Guineas races were/are run at Newmarket, the St Leger at Doncaster. In those days the big race meetings generated a lot of traffic for LNER/ER, not just spectators but the horses too.

Locomotive names were not part of the "British Rail" corporate identity introduced in the mid 1960s. That only changed when Sir Peter Parker became chair. Coming from private industry he saw the value of a bit of cheap public relations.

Deadofnight

Post by Deadofnight » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:57 pm

Thank you for the update and National archive source to explore further, I will take this up .

Thanks again