TRAIN TRAVEL IN 1969

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
windsor_lad

TRAIN TRAVEL IN 1969

Post by windsor_lad » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:04 pm

Can anyone help? This enquiry was received via the Society website.

I am currently writing a novel in which the main character is making a train journey from Fareham, Hampshire to Harrogate in Yorkshire in 1969? I need to know the details of the journey, Would they change at Southampton and then would it be Waterloo station or another London station? Would the train go direct to Harrogate from London? Also I need to know the cost of such a journey in 1969.
Your help would be much appreciated, or if you are unable to help, would you be able to direct me to a website or association that may be able to provide this information please?

MisterC

Re: TRAIN TRAVEL IN 1969

Post by MisterC » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:41 pm

This is the sort of question that ought to be generating long threads of reminiscences on this discussion board.

1969 is before my time, but only just, and I have the relevant ER PTTs. To get this right we need time of year, time of day and day of the week. I can't do the start of the journey from Fareham, but the key question there will be choice between changing trains at Southampton or Eastleigh.

Going via London would involve arriving at Waterloo and departing from Kings Cross, which is complicated because there is no direct tube service. Can the character afford a cab?

From Kings Cross there are a few services with through carriages to Harrogate. In summer 1969 these are:

SX 1130, 1555, 1730
SO 1152, 1730
Sun 0940, 1520

1730 was the Yorkshire Pullman.

At other times there are many options changing at Leeds or York.

Our character may prefer to go cross-country, especially if they have lots of luggage. SX and winter SO the obvious train is the 1029 from Poole via Birmingham which had portions for both Leeds and York. This would definitely have called at Southampton but I'm not sure about Eastleigh. Summer Saturdays are more complicated because the Leeds and York trains ran separately from Poole and by very different routes. The York train was like the SX version (apart possibly from avoiding Reading?) but the Leeds train ran via Leicester. As far as I can tell the cross country service did not run on Sundays in 1969.