Atlas of North American Railways

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
RichardCoulthurst
Atlas of North American Railways

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Can anyone recommend a current atlas showing the railways of North America (USA and Canada) - if such a thing exists. Ideally it should show passenger, freight and 'heritage' lines.

The title, publisher and ISBN would be great information.

Thank you in anticipation.

roeditor

Re: Atlas of North American Railways

Post by roeditor » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:10 pm

Richard

I have never found anything acceptable in a single portable volume

The best bet is to use Steam Powered Video's selection of regional atlases which for the US alone run to 15 volumes. Not cheap at around £16 per copy but they are geographically accurate in terms of directional formation which many generalised US atlases are not. unless you are atotal US rail nut like me only the most you will probably find only those for the tdensest / most populated ares worth acquiring. However they are all all black and white maps with no coverage of roads or other features other than rivers, so needs to be supported by local State based atlas by Rand McNally or DeLorme if touring.
Once you pin down an area of interest Google earth is as good as anything if you have on-line access.
There was a very large and expensive series of regionally based hard backs akin to Jowetts UK atlases started around 20 years ago but personally thought were too expensive for what they were.
I believe there is a single volume book titled as NA RR Atlas but this is very general and no good for serious detauled as opposed to general use

SPV's address https://www.spv.co.uk/atlases.shtml

Hope this Helps

Mike R