RAF Troop Train route 1958 March Cardington Bridgenorth.

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
Ian

RAF Troop Train route 1958 March Cardington Bridgenorth.

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me the route an RAF Troop Train would have taken in March 1958 from Cardington to Bridgenorth.
Many Thanks.
Ian

Bevan Price

Re: RAF Troop Train route 1958 March Cardington Bridgenorth.

Post by Bevan Price » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Ian wrote:Hi All,
Can anyone tell me the route an RAF Troop Train would have taken in March 1958 from Cardington to Bridgenorth.
Many Thanks.
Ian
With so many alternative routes available at that time, I think your only hopes of an accurate answer would require a search through all the Special Traffic Notices for that month (assuming that such a collection still exists) - or the remote possibility that someone here travelled upon that (or a similar) special.

MisterC

Post by MisterC » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:56 am

This is an interesting question with various potential sources.

Given the date of March 1958 I think the important first step is to establish whether the troop train might have used the Stratford upon Avon and Midland Junction route, part of which closed later in 1958. Looking at my Pre Grouping Atlas then I think Bedford-Towcester-Stratford upon Avon-Snow Hill-Kidderminster would be the most obvious route, so I would start by looking at all the books and contemporary sources of traffic on that line in the last few months before closure.

I have a recollection that one of the other major societies had a significant presence in Bedford at that time (possibly the LCGB?) so their magazines from the period would certainly be worth looking at.

Another possibility is whether anyone at the SVR has researched troop trains to/from Bridgnorth - something could be published in their magazine.

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi Bevan and Mr C

Thank you for your replies Bedford Towcester- Stratford upon Avon - Snow Hill- Kidderminster Sounds good to me makes sense of what I recall, very little.I shall make note of your suggestions.

May I again thank you and wish you a very good 2017 rail travelling

Regards Ian

MisterC

Post by MisterC » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:16 pm

I have found a reference to Cardington-Bridgnorth RAF specials in RO 10/60 page 306. Under Bedford-Northampton it says:

"A special passenger train traverses the branch most Friday afternoons going from Cardington to Bridgnorth with RAF personnel: it is routed via Rugby, Stafford and Wellington."

However, what applied in 1960 didn't necessarily apply in 1958.