RCTS Logo

Trying to find lost details of 1970s trips

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

Trying to find lost details of 1970s trips

Postby mark.lane » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Afternoon guys,

I wonder if you could help.

I am trying to find details of a couple of NCTS (I think) trips I went on in 1977/1978.

Immingham/Frodingham May 1977.

London sheds bash 27 January 1978. (Meet was Manchester-Victoria)

Any information would be greatly apperciated, all my information was 'removed from my possession' many years ago.

Thanks
Mark
mark.lane

Re: Trying to find lost details of 1970s trips

Postby Peter Hall » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 pm

mark.lane wrote:Afternoon guys,

I wonder if you could help.

I am trying to find details of a couple of NCTS (I think) trips I went on in 1977/1978.

Immingham/Frodingham May 1977.

London sheds bash 27 January 1978. (Meet was Manchester-Victoria)

Any information would be greatly apperciated, all my information was 'removed from my possession' many years ago.

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

It would appear you were once a NCTS member so I would suggest you have a look at the Northern Counties Transport Society topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=329 on this forum. Also try gogling Northern Counties Transport Society which will lead you to a few other similar topics.

Currently I am involved with compiling an NCTS history so would be very interested in any recollections of your membership and whether you have any surviving documentation.

I have an almost complete list of coach excursions run by NCTS and there was one on 15th May 1977 advertised as Doncaster & Immingham which I was actually on so may be able to help with that one. Rod Stewart was number one at the time by the way. No London excursion is listed for 27th January 1978 but that does not mean one did not run. Quite possible it was rearranged from an earlier date for some reason. A Manchester Victoria pick up ties in with it being NCTS.
Peter Hall

Postby mark.lane » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:57 am

Many thanks Peter.

On reflection, the Immingham/Frodingham trip could even have been June or July, although it was definately a Saturday. The date you mentioned can be ruled out as I was at Biggin Hill Air Fair!
mark.lane

Postby Peter Hall » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:44 am

mark.lane wrote:Many thanks Peter.

On reflection, the Immingham/Frodingham trip could even have been June or July, although it was definately a Saturday. The date you mentioned can be ruled out as I was at Biggin Hill Air Fair!

It was very unusual for NCTS to run day trips on a Saturday, also after 15th May 1977 the next Immingham trip was not until the following August. That being said a South Yorkshire was advertised for 12th June 1977 which may have been varied due to permit availability to include Immingham but again this was a Sunday.

If you joined trips in Sheffield when they picked up there you might also have participated in Little Midland Railway Society trips which were running at the time. They have a Doncaster Works / Immingham Areas advertised for 14th August 1977 but again this was a Sunday.
Peter Hall

Return to Discussion