Trying to find lost details of 1970s trips

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
mark.lane

Trying to find lost details of 1970s trips

Post by mark.lane » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Afternoon guys,

I wonder if you could help.

I am trying to find details of a couple of NCTS (I think) trips I went on in 1977/1978.

Immingham/Frodingham May 1977.

London sheds bash 27 January 1978. (Meet was Manchester-Victoria)

Any information would be greatly apperciated, all my information was 'removed from my possession' many years ago.

Thanks
Mark

Peter Hall

Re: Trying to find lost details of 1970s trips

Post by Peter Hall » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:25 pm

mark.lane wrote:Afternoon guys,

I wonder if you could help.

I am trying to find details of a couple of NCTS (I think) trips I went on in 1977/1978.

Immingham/Frodingham May 1977.

London sheds bash 27 January 1978. (Meet was Manchester-Victoria)

Any information would be greatly apperciated, all my information was 'removed from my possession' many years ago.

Thanks
Mark
Mark,

It would appear you were once a NCTS member so I would suggest you have a look at the Northern Counties Transport Society topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=329 on this forum. Also try gogling Northern Counties Transport Society which will lead you to a few other similar topics.

Currently I am involved with compiling an NCTS history so would be very interested in any recollections of your membership and whether you have any surviving documentation.

I have an almost complete list of coach excursions run by NCTS and there was one on 15th May 1977 advertised as Doncaster & Immingham which I was actually on so may be able to help with that one. Rod Stewart was number one at the time by the way. No London excursion is listed for 27th January 1978 but that does not mean one did not run. Quite possible it was rearranged from an earlier date for some reason. A Manchester Victoria pick up ties in with it being NCTS.

mark.lane

Post by mark.lane » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am

Many thanks Peter.

On reflection, the Immingham/Frodingham trip could even have been June or July, although it was definately a Saturday. The date you mentioned can be ruled out as I was at Biggin Hill Air Fair!

Peter Hall

Post by Peter Hall » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:44 am

mark.lane wrote:Many thanks Peter.

On reflection, the Immingham/Frodingham trip could even have been June or July, although it was definately a Saturday. The date you mentioned can be ruled out as I was at Biggin Hill Air Fair!
It was very unusual for NCTS to run day trips on a Saturday, also after 15th May 1977 the next Immingham trip was not until the following August. That being said a South Yorkshire was advertised for 12th June 1977 which may have been varied due to permit availability to include Immingham but again this was a Sunday.

If you joined trips in Sheffield when they picked up there you might also have participated in Little Midland Railway Society trips which were running at the time. They have a Doncaster Works / Immingham Areas advertised for 14th August 1977 but again this was a Sunday.

GRALISTAIR

Post by GRALISTAIR » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Pete is correct. NCTS day trips ran Sunday. Overnighters started Saturday afternoon from Manchester Vic. GRAND trips ran Good Friday from about noon to late Easter Monday evening

greenlocos

Post by greenlocos » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi ,im John Wade of the notorious NCTS!! What a society ,I would go back in the blink of an eye to those times!I have my notebook in front of me for the trip you are asking about.The first trip you was asking about was a day trip ,"Doncaster and Immingham",and the date was 15,5,77.In this order we visited; Wath,Doncaster Shed,Doncaster Station,Donny Plant(With brand new 56ers on!32 to 40 ,Scunthorpe Station,Frodingham Shed,Immingham Docks,Immingham Shed,West Marsh,Grimsby Docks,Grimsby station,Barnetby,Goole,Knottingly,Wakefield,and finally Healey Mills.Any genuine NCTS members out there who get in touch with me ,I probably went on as many or more than anyone else (Including Alan Fawcett)I can happily oblige from lists from all of my original spotting books.Very Happy memories of an Iconic club,Forget The Dalescroft ,I have it on very good authority that a certain chap very very prominent in it was making a good living out of it!!The NCTS was run purely because we loved shed bashing,,,,,,,,,,,Cheers John Wade 07868706156 or visit virtually any Saturday;Heritage Shunters Trust at Rowsley ,Derbyshire,and make yourself known PLEASE!!

GRALISTAIR

Post by GRALISTAIR » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:40 pm

I am Graham Howarth - a friend of John Wade from those days. I am in contact with Pete Hall and John Wade trying to help with a history of the NCTS. John is correct NCTS was run for fun and not for profit. Dalescroft was so for profit that ICRS split off from it in the 1970s. It was Carnforth based. John is correct - we just loved shed bashing - so much that we supplemented with car bashes and even mini-bus trips in addition to the coach trips. I virtually always joined at Manchester Victoria.

mark.lane

Post by mark.lane » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:49 am

Thanks for all the feedback.

Unfortunately, I definately remember my trip to Immingham/Frodhingham was a Saturday (during May/June or July) and picked up the coach somewhere (possibly Sheffield). It couldnt have been 15 May 1977 as I'd gone to Biggin Hill Air Fair the day before.

Ah well, it was a good try and i'll probably never know the exact details now.

GRALISTAIR

Post by GRALISTAIR » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:50 pm

15/05/1977 / / Doncaster & Immingham

Sheffield Station, TI, Holmes Yard, Rotherham Road, WH, DR,
Doncaster Station, Doncaster Works, Scunthorpe Station, Normandy
Park, FH, Immingham Docks, IM, West Marsh, Grimsby Docks, Grimsby
Station, Barnetby, GO, KY, Wakefield(passing, HM, Meadow Hall

Almost certainly this one which I was on - May 15th 1977 Doncaster and Immingham

theelix1

Post by theelix1 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:26 am

Thanks for giving your suggestion.